Friday, December 28, 2007

Invitation to a Mudsling

I almost never write about sleazy gossip, but this morning at the office I received an email that really made me stop and think for a minute. Essentially, it's an invitation to watch mudslinging:

MEDIA ALERT PRESS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
Former Girlfriend Elizabeth Mazzocchi to Speak
Regarding Rape Accusation Against Actor Esai Morales

OVERVIEW:
According to The Law Firm of Eisner & Frank, Elizabeth Mazzocchi intends to inform the public of previously undisclosed information concerning the actor Esai Morales’ alleged past acts of rape and sexual misconduct over the past twenty-two years. Liz hopes that by shedding light on these allegations, other potential victims of Mr. Morales will feel empowered to come forward to tell their stories as well. On advice of counsel, Liz will not be taking questions at this time.

DATE:
Friday, December 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM

LOCATION:
The Law Firm of Eisner & Frank
9601 Wilshire Boulevard
Suite 700
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-855-3200

PARTICIPANTS:
Elizabeth Mazzocchi, former girlfriend and manager of Esai Morales,
Nader Pakfar and Jason Beckerman, Attorneys to Ms. Mazzocchi

Now, I'm not saying Elizabeth Mazzocchi wasn't raped or was raped or whatever she was. I do believe the California judicial system, having dispatched so beautifully such cases as the O.J. Simpson murder trial, will eventually reach a conclusion regarding Morales' innocence or guilt.

To me, there is just something so offensive about sending out an email to invite everyone to a press conference to talk about it all. Sure, if I was on the TMZ payroll, I'd be there and I'd care and it would be the most important thing in the world to me, with the assassination of Benazir Bhutto ranking somewhere below Britney's shaved cooch. But I'm not on the TMZ payroll, and this is just low-rent stuff.

It isn't enough to file a lawsuit or to work with a DA to launch a criminal investigation. Instead, the whole thing now has to become some kind of predictable performative exercise, and I bet any amount of money Mazzocchi teared up, right on cue, at some particularly gripping moment at the news conference. Sigh.

15 minutes of fame, baby
15 minutes of fame

Happy New Year.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: