Wednesday, September 03, 2008

An Interview with -- Me! -- on Extra Criticum (Part 5 of 7)

I was very flattered when Rolando Teco, whose new blog Extra Criticum is pretty damn cool and has a lot of potential, asked me to participate in an experiment in which his various writers and contributors would ask a bunch of questions of me as a critic. Well, the fifth installment is up; there will be seven parts (and a bonus). And who knows who I'll alienate this time!

Here's the tease:

Q: What do you think is more effective as a critic: to be the opinionated reporter ("this is what I saw and how I felt about it,") or, the reporter who shares a more global sense of the experience ("this is what I saw; this is how I felt; this is how the audience responded")?

A: ...If you’re seeing Hair at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park and Hair, for whatever reason, isn’t your thing, then it’s not your thing; that’s fine. But if you’re there seeing Hair and the audience is going absolutely balls-to-the-wall crazy and they’re running up on stage following the end of the show and singing and dancing their asses off, it seems a little dishonest not to at least acknowledge in print that while the critic’s ass was getting middle-age spread and not letting the sunshine in, there were 1,500 people who were pretty damn vocal about the age of Aquarius....

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: